TRISTAR is the Tri-city
Long-awaited green light for drivers and public transport users
Gdansk, Sopot, Gdynia, Poland
TRISTAR is the Tri-city’s long-awaited green light for drivers and public transport users.
The TRISTAR project is an Integrated Traffic Management System, which has revolutionised the way people move around the Tricity agglomeration of 1.5 million people. The system covers the most heavily trafficked streets in Gdynia, Gdańsk and Sopot.
The investment was aimed at:
- increasing capacity,
- improving road safety,
- more efficient rescue management,
- protecting the environment through efficient use of road and parking infrastructure,
- monitoring public transport and weather conditions.
Thanks to the use of state-of-the-art technologies, the Traffic Management and Control Centre can direct information not only to drivers but also to all users via a web portal and info kiosks.
As part of this project, APM PRO’s task was to manufacture, commission and integrate into the TRISTAR system the subsystems of variable message signs, dynamic parking information and road weather stations. Our implemented solutions have helped to improve traffic flow and reduce journey times. As a result, the capacity of the road network was increased by more than 20%.
An additional challenge for APM PRO was to work in active traffic in the centres of three highly urbanised cities, in the most heavily trafficked streets, which required effective work protection to ensure the safety not only of our installation workers, but also of the road participants.
Used technologies: Swarco Futurit, Swarco LEA, Lufft.
The scope of the task included comprehensive supply and execution of:
- the road meteorological stations subsystem – 13 stations,
- the dynamic parking information subsystem – 27 locations,
- the variable message signs and boards subsystem – 8 variable message signs, 18 variable message boards,
- implementation, commissioning and integration of subsystems.
Implementation period: December 2012 – December 2018.